St. Joseph’s N.S., Leitrim Village, is situated on the banks of the Shannon-Erne waterway. In 1835 the first National School in Ireland was opened in Leitrim. History shows that there were two teachers in the school; the second teacher was called a monitor.
The first post-primary school in Leitrim was built in 1851 by the local landlords, the La Touche family, who saw a need in the area for agricultural education for the poverty stricken population. It was called the Model School.
The National School of 1835 was replaced and relocated behind the old school in 1972. The site was donated by the Meehan family. Master Meehan lived in the old Model School and taught in the National School. The school was designed at that time for four teachers. The two plus two was made up of the amalgamation of Kiltoghert N.S. and Leitrim N.S.